According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention the Norovirus is the most common type of foodborne illness in the United States.
Dr. Amesh Adalja, an infectious disease physician at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and spokesperson for the Infectious Diseases Society of America says, “Studies have shown that the majority of outbreaks occur when food is contaminated by food service workers. With norovirus, it's a very abrupt onset - within a day or two - and vomiting is the predominant symptom.”
Typically most children and adults infected with this virus will experience violent stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Fever, a headache and body aches can also be experienced.
The Norovirus is extremely contagious and between 10 and 21 million Americans are infected with it each year and has sent more than 71,000 people to their local hospitals yearly.
The CDC recommends hand washing, and disinfecting surfaces such as counter tops and toilet seats and states antibiotics won't help, since they only fight bacterial infections and this is a virus. Although they have no prescriptions available to combat the virus they suggest staying hydrated with water & electrolytes.
Fortunately Natural Medicine has so much more you can do!
Keep foods soft, bland and gentle such as ripe softened bananas, white rice, cooked pears and soup broths. Drink water with some electrolytes at least once a day.
Colloidal Silver 10ppm is a natural Ant-viral that looks & tastes like water. It will immediately begin killing of the virus in the stomach and digestive tract upon ingestion. Adults take 1 teaspoon directly or added to a beverage every 2-3 hours until symptoms are completely gone. Small children ½ dose. This can also be taken as a preventative. By the way it is not harmful, will not interact with any medication and will not turn you BLUE! If manufactured properly silver will be eliminated by the body within 2 hours.
- Charcoal (Nature’s Way) (capsule or powder) will bind with the virus and remove it from the body via bowel movement or if you should vomit. Keep this at least 3 hours away from any medication! Adults take 4 capsules 2x day and Small children 1- 2 capsules 2x day. ( For children open the capsule and mix with small amount of applesauce or beverage)
- Homeopathic Nausea & / or Diarrhea tablets (Heel Inc.) Oscillococcinum (Boiron) as often as directed on label.
- Weak ginger tea,peppermint tea or chamomile tea can also help. Sip Slowly!
- If needed you can also take Echinamide Anti-V capsules (Natural Factors) or Virattack ( Herb Pharm) these are both Anti-Viral formulas & take as directed on label. These can also be taken preventatively.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment call our practice at the Tree of Life Wellness Center 508-336-4242.
Jane Jansen Holistic Practitioner Tree of Life Wellness Center Inc.
Host of Holistic Healthline Radio
Share this post
- Tags: diarrhea, Jane's Blog, loose stools, nausea, Norovirus, stomach bug, stomach flu, Stomach pain, vomiting