According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “Antibiotic resistance is a growing problem, both in the United States and across the world. The main driving factors behind antibiotic resistance are the overuse and misuse of antibiotics. Colds, flu, most sore throats, bronchitis, and many sinus and ear infections are caused by viruses. Antibiotics do not help fight viruses and for the overwhelming majority of common respiratory infections, antibiotics are not helpful.”
The CDC also states 1. Taking antibiotics increases your risk of getting an antibiotic-resistant infection later. 2. Antibiotics kill the healthy bacteria in the gut, allowing more harmful bacteria, such as C. difficile, to grow in its place. 3. Antibiotics cause 1 out of 5 emergency department visits for adverse drug events and are the most common cause of emergency department visits for adverse drug events in children under 18 years of age.
Can you eliminate a sinus infection without using prescriptions antibiotics?
Absolutely! The first step is to kill off the bacteria in your sinuses.
- Get SinuOrega (North American Herb) nasal spray or Nasal Wash (Wood Stock Herbals). These will directly kill off the bacteria on the nasal membranes and open up the sinuses to allow mucus drainage. These formulas work really well and are pretty intense so go easy at first. Another option is Colloidal Silver nasal spray which is gentler on the sinus tissues, but may not open up the sinuses quite as well for drainage. Use either of them frequently throughout the day based on how you are feeling. Some people prefer to use both alternating them back and forth.
- Take either Oil of Oregano capsules (Natural Factors) or Goldenseal Root capsules approx. 570 mg. : 1 cap 3x day (of either) before meals to kill off bacteria throughout your body. Then continue to take for 1 week beyond feeling good again, to keep the infection from coming back. For children use either the Echinamide Anti-V capsules (Natural Factors) or Esberitox chewables (Enzymatic Therapy) and follow the directions on the label.
- Using a Netti pot will help wash out the junk/mucus/bacteria collected in your sinuses. Mix Sinus Care Solution packet w/ xylitol (Xlear) with the warm water and also add a teaspoon of Colloidal Silver 10ppm. Xylitol helps to break down biofilm that lines the sinuses and protects the bacteria from being killed off. Silver is a natural ant-viral / antibacterial that kills on contact.
- Olbas Inhaler is a small plastic tube infused with Menthol, Peppermint oil, Cajeput oil and Eucalyptus oil. Gently insert the tube partially in your nostril and inhale. It will help open up the airway and soothe irritated sinus membranes.
- Eliminate dairy, soy and wheat as much as possible as they increase mucus production which is a great environment for bacteria and virus to thrive.
Utilizing these natural methods at the first sign of a sinus infection will help prevent the need to take an antibiotic! Possibly ever again! It works for us, our patients and families!
If you would like to connect with us on Facebook go to our Holistic Healthline Radio page!
Jane Jansen Holistic Practitioner Tree off Life Wellness Center 508-336-4242
Host of Holistic Healthline Radio
Share this post
- Tags: Antibiotic, Goldenseal, jane's blog, Natural Antibiotic, Oregano, Silver, Sinus, Sinus Infection, Sinuses, Xylitol