Sinus infections can really put a damper on the holiday season. Who wants to shop, go to parties, gift wrap or prepare holiday foods when you feel sick and miserable?
Infections start when the tissue in the sinuses get irritated, swollen and produces excessive mucus. Sometimes so much you wonder how your head can hold that much goo. The mucus then traps air, viruses and bacteria in little pockets. This build-up causes the pathogens to multiply, painful pressure, headaches, fever, excessive fatigue, sore throat, and can also cause an ear infection as well.
Allergies often precede sinus infections as they aggravate the sinus tissues and stimulate mucus production. These can include environmental allergens such as pollen, dust mites, pet dander, mold, wood burning smoke, and cockroaches. Food allergens can also be a significant factor such as dairy, soy, nuts or wheat.
Chronic antibiotic use can lead to fungal /yeast infections in the sinuses, which irritate the tissues and lead to sinus infections. To which many people then take an antibiotic which starts the cycle all over again resulting in frequent sinus infection merry-go-round.
Dry air and many over the counter nasal sprays from the pharmacy irritate the sinuses as well. Use a humidifier in your bedroom at night to keep your sinuses hydrated.
So what can you do?
At the first sign of a sinus infection:
- Stay away from dairy and wheat products as they significantly increase the mucus production.
- Alternate Colloidal Silver Nasal Spray (kills off virus, bacteria and yeast) with Xlear Sinus Care Spray (contains xylitol to wash out pathogens and hydrate sinus tissue). Use them both several times a day throughout the holiday season or for as long as you need. There is no toxicity, tolerance or addiction to them. It may feel a little burning at first but this goes away as infection goes away.
- Kill off the virus or bacteria with a Natural Antibiotic:
- If you have blocked sinuses use Sinus Plumber Nasal Spray (contains horseradish, cayenne pepper and eucalyptus) which will open up your sinuses to get drainage going.
- Netti Pot is very cleansing (Use the Xlear Sinus Care Solution & add some colloidal silver 10ppm.)
I hope this helps you to have a happy holiday season with NO sinus infections this year!
Jane Jansen Naturopath