What could be worse than a stomach bug? Let’s face it vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, is no body’s idea of a great time. How many times while sitting next to or on the toilet have you said “Just shoot me now and get it over with!”
The Norovirus is a family of viruses most often to blame for adult gastroenteritis, although others include adenovirus and astrovirus. (Rotavirus is the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in babies and young children). Norovirus is not really the flu and outbreaks occur throughout the year. But, over 80% of the outbreaks occur from November to April. Each year, it causes 19-21 million illnesses and contributes to 56,000-71,000 hospitalizations and 570-800 deaths.
Norovirus is also the number-one cause of foodborne illness in the United States (Not the same as food poisoning!). It is extremely contagious and can spread like wildfire in any crowded place, causing outbreaks in day care centers, schools, cruise ships, hospitals, and nursing homes. You can still be infectious for 3 days or more even after symptoms are gone.
It can be spread from person to person or by touching a contaminated surface (it can live for days on surfaces like counter tops), but you can also get viral gastroenteritis from sewage-contaminated food or water, or meals prepared or handled by an infected person.
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) “There's no vaccine to prevent infection and no drug to treat it”. Therefore the flu shot won't protect against stomach bugs and antibiotics are useless.
The good news is even though your doctor doesn’t have anything for the Norovirus, Natural Medicine Does! The sooner you follow these instructions, (which I have used successfully for myself, as well as my family and patients) the sooner you will feel better and get back to normal.
Don’t delay if you catch this dreaded bug! (Keep these supplements handy in your medicine cabinet or pack for a trip as you never know when a NOROVIRUS WILL ATTACK!
- Charcoal capsules or powder mixed in a beverage or applesauce, binds with the virus and removes them via the digestive tract. ( it will cause stools and vomit to turn black) Be sure to keep it at least 3 hours from medications and 2 hours from antiviral supplements. Adult dosage 4-6 capsules 2-3 x day, children 1 or 2 caps opened, small children 1 cap opened, infants ½ cap opened, 2 x day.
- Colloidal Silver (10ppm) kills of viruses of all kinds. Silver particles have an electrical charge that kills off pathogens they come in contact with and is eliminated from the body within 2 hours. Looks and tastes like water, safe at any age and will not interfere with medications. Adults 1 tsp, small children ½ tsp, infants ¼ tsp every 2-3 hours.
- Anti-V capsules (Natural Factors) Adults 3 caps 3x day ( they are small and easy to get down when you are feeling nausea.
- Beta Glucan 3mg for children ½ - 1 cap 2x day open cap and mix with beverage or applesauce.
- Homeopathic Nux vomica 30x or 30c for adults, 6x for small children or infants, or homeopathic Nausea formulas. Take as directed on the label.
Keep foods light:
Saltine crackers, toast, rice products (cream of rice), broth such as chicken soup, etc. and drink electrolyte based beverages as you lose a lot of fluid and electrolytes through watery diarrhea and vomiting, and they need to be replaced so you don’t become dehydrated and weak.
Weak teas,ginger tea, ginger ale (flat), Stomach Ease tea can also be helpful.
No heavy foods like dairy, meats, fats, or spices and also no coffee.
Use a bleach-based cleaner to kill virus particles on hard surfaces.
Wash laundry carefully, using gloves to handle diapers, towels, soiled clothing and bedding if you can.
Wash your hands frequently, hand sanitizers are ok, but soap and water is better.
Once you feel well taper off your supplement and slowly incorporate other foods and see how your stomach feels. Also take it easy when getting back into your regular routine as you don’t want to suffer a relapse or come down with something else.
If you have any questions you can call us toll free 1-866-920-9455 on Holistic Healthline Radio every Saturday 8am-10am EST.
Jane Jansen Naturopath